
I initially was unsure of what this class was going to be about. I knew the class would be about the environment and consist of field trips and community service but that was pretty much it. I was presently surprised after just a few classes at how much environmental sustainability is tied in to the class and its teachings. I am not one to spend a lot of time outdoors but I am hoping that with this class I will start getting back in touch with nature and spend more time outdoors. A few years ago I took a trip to Alaska with my family. We visited Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and stopped at Vancouver for a few days. At Skagway I traveled to the top of a glacier where I got to walk around and explore the vast sheet of ice and snow. I was very humble by the experience and was absolutely amazed at how quiet it was at the top of the glacier. I also had the chance to drink real glacier water from a small stream that was flowing through the ice.

I didn’t really have many reservations about taking university colloquium; I had not heard anything bad or good about the class so I was more curious if anything. By taking this class I feel that I will develop a closer relationship to the natural world. Society today is far too detached from nature and that is why classes like this are so important to take. I hope that this class will help me become more knowledgeable about nature and therefore allow me to help and protect our planet.
No comments:
Post a Comment